Tuesday, October 24, 2017

The Girl in the Picture by Kerry Barrett







I love dual time period books; but they must be intricately woven to keep me interested.

The Girl in the Picture by Kerry Barrett does not disappoint. In addition to the historical aspect, the mystery is believable and intriguing.

Ella, is the present day main character while Violet’s life is reflected during the mid 1800’s. The mystery revolves around the disappearance of Violet. Something the villagers still talk about 150 years later.

The uncanny parallel lives are what hooks Ella’s heartstrings and piques her drive to dive into the mystery. They both lost their mothers and unborn baby sibling at the age of five. In turn a strained, but loving relationship with their fathers ensues…along with insecurities.

Ella, has left her secure job as an accountant to write full time. They move from London and rent an old home in a small village—Violet’s former home. Soon, she hears about the history behind the house.

Violet, a talented painter, is swayed by a married neighbor, Edwin. The 1800’s is no place for a woman with dreams, but Edwin encourages her, and tells her he has ties in the art world. He is a predator in every sense of the word. (I hated him.)
Violet is an innocent, sheltered eighteen-year-old young woman. She is swayed by Edwin’s snake-like charm, and soon allows him into her life and heart.

It was painful to watch. Yeah, I said watch. The author actually planted me in the story so well it felt as if I watched the scenes play before my eyes. The switch between present day and 1855 were seamless.
The characters are easy to love, except for Edwin. He is a villainous sleaze.

The mystery unfolds a little at a time, and I followed along with undying interest. I didn’t find the ending unbelievable, as I do some mysteries. This plot was well thought out.

Ella and Violet stumble through their insecurities, but there is growth in both main characters.

I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone who likes dual time period mysteries. 






No comments:

Post a Comment