Sunday, September 30, 2018

Once Upon a River


The storytelling element of Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield sparked my imagination. Instead of snuggling in my bed reading, I was transported along the riverside, sitting by a bonfire, the chill permeating through my bones, yet leaning forward to catch every word of the storyteller’s voice. 

Oh, how the author spun this story into a web of intrigue! The characters were REAL, the scenery tangible, the mystery, heartache, love, life, death all twisted into the river somehow. 

A little girl, seemingly drowned and quite dead, regained consciousness … or is it some sort of magical intervention? The parentage of this mute child becomes the focus of the story, two families claiming her. The other villagers are enthralling, and add a lot to this story.

I closed this book with a sigh of regret, because I wanted the story to continue.
I highly recommend this wonderful read. 

5 stars

I received a complimentary copy from Net Galley. All opinions are my own.



1 comment: