Throughout the years, I've accumulated a collection of gluten free cookbooks--many banished to basement shelves, never to see a kitchen counter again. Why? They tend to be filled with hard to find ingredients, and difficult to follow recipes. Then, after all the hard work the cakes tend to be heavy-textured enough to use as a doorstop.
That being said, Let Us All Eat Cake is a fantastic cookbook! I tried several recipes, and wow, I couldn't be happier with the results.
1. LOTS OF PHOTOGRAPHS: I want to see what the finished product should look like. This book is full of them. Love this bonus.
2. FLOUR MIX RECIPES! In many gluten-free cookbooks, a recipe will call for gluten-free flour, but they don't always give a recipe to create your own mixture. Now, there's nothing wrong with ready-made mixes, but it's more economical to make your own. Let Us All Eat Cake, has not one, but two recipes for flour mixtures: Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend and Gluten-Free Whole Grain Flour Blend.
3. CATEGORIZED INFORMATION: The beginning of the book is chock-full of information, including how to stock your gluten-free pantry. There are many helpful tips, from a breakdown of sweetener options to which flavorings and fruits work best with the recipes. For the beginner, there's even a list of equipment, from pans to utensils.
4. SERIOUSLY? VEGAN AND ALLERGY FREE CAKE CHART? Wow. This floored me. There's an easy to read chart listing which recipes are Dairy free, Vegan, Nut Free, and Soy Free. Who does this??? Let Us All Eat Cake is aptly titled.
5. FANTASTIC, TASTY, EASY TO FOLLOW RECIPES: Need I say more?
1. I can't stop eating cake.
Let Us All Eat Cake is sure to become a dog-eared, stained and worn cookbook. It won't end up tucked away in the basement, crisp pages intact, unmarked, and lonely. I highly recommend this book for anyone, not just those with gluten intolerance. You'll be pleased with the taste and texture of these cakes.
Disclosure of Material connection in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR Part 255: Blogging For Books has provided me a copy of this book in exchange for a review.